Saturday, January 3, 2015

DIY Goldfish Grahams

Which cracker would you rather eat? 

Cracker A consists of whole wheat flour, unbleached enriched wheat flour, sugar, partially hydrogenated vegetable shortening, high fructose corn syrup, less than 2%: cinnamon, calcium carbonate, salt, baking soda, ascorbic acid, iron, vitamin A palmitate and niacin. It is made in a factory and packaged mechanically. 

Cracker B consists of whole wheat flour, unbleached all-purpose flour, milk, butter, brown sugar, honey, cinnamon, vanilla, baking powder and baking soda. It is made in a galley kitchen by a mother and son duo and packaged with love. 

Several weeks ago I asked Boo what he would like to give The Ogre and Moo for Christmas. "I been thinkin' " he began, "when I am in line for breakfast at school I thought maybe (they) would like to try one of those fishy crackers. "

The crackers he referred to are the Goldfish Giant Grahams and although for a moment I was relieved he picked something easy we could purchase (in bulk! ) I knew that is not how are memories are made, and not what Boo had in mind either.

How could we justify dropping five or ten bucks on cracker A when we had everything for (a triple batch! ) of cracker B in our cupboards at home.

I found this recipe online and decided it would work great to cut the dough in fish shapes with a cookie cutter, only our 100+ set of cutters is stowed away. So I purchased one on sale on Amazon.

I am kidding! I wanted to see if you were paying attention. Buying a cookie cutter for a one time recipe? Buying something I may already have I just cannot locate? No!  Naturally we made one. 


I read that you can form a cookie cutter out of a slice of pop can or a disposable metal baking tray. When I mentioned it to my mom she cringed in her mother way as though I would lose a finger. Indeed after I formed a fish, out of metal tape I pilfered from the ogre's tool box, it was rather sharp!  So we wrapped it in electrical tape, similarly pilfered.
Now I know electrical tape may not be food service quality, but this was a one time use cutter, and I washed it!






Here is the cookie making process:

The day before baking we mixed the dough from this recipe.








We rolled the cookies out with a glass jar because the rolling pin was packed away. Left my hands with bruises!
Check out that concentration!





And then we cut them out, sprinkled them with cinnamon and sugar, and baked them per the recipe.


















Boo stuffed them two in a bag, just like the grahams at school.











Boo stuffed them in a bag in the bottom of the freezer until Christmas day, when he presented them to Moo and The Ogre. I didn't sneak a taste due to the gluten contained, but they were well received and have been munched on each day since Christmas. We store them in the freezer to keep them fresh and take them out a bag at a time. Yum!





No comments:

Post a Comment