Wednesday, July 1, 2015

How to Breathe New Life into Old Furniture in less than five minutes


As our family numbers have increased, our furniture needs have too.

Luckily we have some pretty supportive friends and family who have passed on their extras to us so that we didn't end up breaking the bank.

I fell in love with this dresser hand me down as soon as my husband brought it home.

The night was a busy one and I told him to just set it in the kitchen as I was dealing with our Energizer Bunny children and The Ogre had a meeting to run off to. 

He set it against the kitchen wall and by the next morning I was convinced that was exactly where it should stay.

The top drawer became the home for my purse and work-from-home paperwork, the middle drawer was packed with the various coloring books and art supplies that get spread across the table each day, and the bottom drawer awaits its purpose. 

The inside getting filled, I decided to focus my attention on the outside of the old dresser. 

My mom had a great idea of painting just the top in some sort of faux granite to match the kitchen. Much as I love this idea I really cannot dedicate that kind of time to this piece of furniture at the moment.

So what did I do with the few minutes I could spare?


I polished and conditioned with Furniture After Life!

Furniture After Life didn't smell harsh and really had little smell at all. I used an old cloth diaper to spread the oily polish along the grain of the wood, paying attention to the corners and crevices.

Then I flipped the cloth over and went over the grain again picking up any excess oil.

 

The drawers stuck a bit and were hard to pull in and out. To smooth this process I used my friend Teresa's tip to rub soap along the parts of the drawer that were rubbing on the edges. 

Now look at my dresser! 

Certainly loved but now with a glow!

**I received product for free in exchange for this blog post**

2 comments: