Saturday, July 11, 2015

Bananarama

What do you do when you have a pile of over ripe bananas and your freezer is full of frozen spinach, diced onions and ice cream?

Banana bread!

Always eager to try a new recipe and never able to locate the one I used the last time  I decided to use this recipe as my fridge has been overflowing with almond flour.

Easy to make and gluten free (contains oats so consider your level of sensitivity and perhaps opt for gluten free specified oats.

I quadrupled the recipe to share at a play group where they gobbled them down. My family and all we have entertained this post week have been gobbling them down.

Of course, the flexipist in me had to change up a bunch of the ingredients. A friend insisted I try to remember for her,  so here goes:

3 medium ripe bananas
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 egg
3 Tbsp grape seed or coconut oil, melted (ain't nobody got time to melt coconut oil! I mashed it in with a potato masher! sub'd applesauce for a good third of this)
1/4 cup organic cane sugar
1/4 cup packed brown sugar (low on sweetener I used root beer syrup, my use for flat root beer: I boil it down to reduce waste)
2-3 Tbsp honey, depending on ripeness of bananas (I skipped this)
3.5 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
3/4 cup almond or dairy milk (used the cow)
1 1/4 cup almond meal (about a quarter of this I used coconut flour for )
1 1/4 cup gluten free flour blend (A combo of America Test Kitchen diy gf mix, coconut flour - puh-leeze buy  in the Indian section of your grocery store to save, brown rice flour bought bulk on Amazon, and tapioca flour - again don't forget to check the Asian Foods aisle at your grocery for cheap tapioca starch)
1 1/4 cup gluten free oats (I can handle regular and had some oat baby cereal I also sub'd for some of  this?

My recommendation to my friend Barbara? Stick to the regular recipe, mine is a mess to follow, though the ground coconut was a good addition and you can sub some of the oatmeal with the ground type.

No comments:

Post a Comment